Sunday, December 28, 2008

A Rebel Without Pause

There are two rules I follow when I post something online. Do not post after drinking, and do not post anything controversial.

This evening I'm breaking the rules. Both of them. For Bob, the wine of the night is a 2005 Michel Schlumberger 'La Brume' Dry Creek Valley Chardonnay, paired with wild salmon and asparagus. This was one of the wines I got in exchange for the empty top 100's. Excellent!

Back to our regularly scheduled blog.

I belong to an online pregnancy group. Wait, not a pregnancy group. I *did* belong to an online pregnancy group, when I was pregnant. Which isn't now. It was eight years ago. Now were a group of women with seven year olds. I love the women on this pregnancy group and somehow we have managed to stay together for eight years. These women are truly people I consider friends.

OK. So today this interesting quiz was posted, and we all posted our results:

pewresearch.org/newsiq/

What concerned me were the scores that were posted. The average score was 60% correct. The lowest being 15%, the highest 96%.

Where are we getting our information from? Does anyone watch the evening news/read newspapers/news magazines anymore? Are we, as a country, that out of touch? We have thousands of young men and women, only a few years older than my son, in Iraq fighting in my country's name, and there are people out there who can't be bothered to know how many have died? How many our leader is sending over there?? We've got our sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, husbands and wives stuck in the middle of a chaotic (or as my former manager would say, 'chow tic') un-winable civil war and we're too fucking busy to know how many of them HAVE BEEN KILLED!

I'm pissed. I'm fucking pissed watching this country being led of a cliff and I can't understand why were not all in the fucking street protesting. Actually I can, because according to this little test the majority of us can't be bothered to read a fucking newspaper. Oh wait, our president doesn't read newspapers either.

No comments: