Sunday, December 28, 2008

Clumsy Anacronym

I've got to quit making fun of my manager. Really, I can't keep doing this.

Today she and a co-worker of mine were folding sweaters. "You can't describe a sweater as 'clumsy'" she said "clumsy isn't an adjective, it's an adverb".

Knowing I did not want to get involved in this conversation, I tried to leave the room.

"Sara!" She shouts. "Clumsy is an adverb, right? It can't be an adjective".

"Er well...I suppose it could be an adjective, if you were describing a noun...like..um, a person. The person was clumsy".

"Yeah but, it's really an adverb, right?"

Well, if you were to say, "He stumbled along, clumsily" You'd be in adverb territory.

"What about a sweater. Can a sweater be clumsy?".

I suppose it could be.

"Hee Haw! Right!" she snorts. "You need to have a long talk with your ex-husband, because you are WRONG baby! So wrong.."

Yes, tonight I will consult my ex-husband who teaches High School English about Adverbs. Maybe I'll call my English professor father and brother as well for a second and third opinion because , GASP-I don't know the English language.

Earlier that day she was decribing her daughter coming up with some anaconyms. "You know, like Happy for Sad, or Hot and Cold.."

I think she's FUBAR.

No comments: